Monday, August 27, 2007

Economically marginalized! What the #$@% does that mean?

“As ever, the worst affected people in Belize are those who were already economically marginalized before the storm hit.”

Believe it or not this sentence was written in a press release just after hurricane Dean hit the northern part of Belize. I looked up marginalized in my thesaurus and it wasn’t there, so I tried ‘marginal’ and got trivial, unimportant, insignificant, minor, or secondary. I’m guessing, (because I try to see the best in people), that this person must have been trying for political correctness in describing the poor people of Belize. But – what the hell – why didn’t she just say poor people? Besides, being poor is not an insult to the poor, it’s an insult to the government who does not provide opportunity for prosperity to those who truly would put it to use. Like incentives for small business, tax breaks, education for better methods of farming etc. I won’t go into any more about politics, (for now) even though there is much more to be said. There, I’ve had my rant for the day.

I’m back home now and all is well. The cats are fine and all three chickens are accounted for. The runaway decided to come back on her own. Yeah! My seven bucks didn’t go down some bush-dog’s gullet after all. They have names now, and have become a part of my strange family and therefore cannot be eaten. The rooster is Randy, the white hen is Gertie, after a favorite aunt, and the little brown one is Beatrice.

No comments:

Post a Comment