Monday, September 3, 2007

Let me introduce the chickens


Randy, Gertie and Beatrice seem to be adapting well to life in the jungle. Bea is the smallest and the other two pick on her a bit, but nothing really nasty. I haven't wanted to eat chicken since I got them. Chickens make good pets and they’re not much trouble at all. I let them out of their house in the morning and spread some grain or rice on the ground. They eat it, and then forage for bugs the rest of the day. As soon as it starts to get dark, they go back in their house and I close the door behind them so they don't get eaten by the wildlife that come out at night. The cats stalk them, but they're about the same size so I don't worry. They like to sit in the hibiscus trees (I guess wandering around looking for bugs is tiring work). They also seem quite partial to dog food. They're too young to lay eggs yet, but I don’t think it will be long before Gertie starts popping some out. I’ve found out now that I don’t need a rooster for eggs. I only need a male if I want to have little chicks running around. Hmmmmm. I’m sure Randy would make for good eating, and he sure is loud and persistent with the “errrr er er er ererrrr’s” in the morning. Really early in the morning – like 4:30! But of course I don’t have the heart for that now. He’s already part of the family. I think you can tell which one is Randy. He’s missing a lot of feathers on his neck, but I’m told they’ll grow back. Gertie’s the pretty white one with attitude and Beatrice is the ‘hard to see’ brown one with the Moe hair cut.
Gotta go... Felix is coming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment