Tuesday, September 11, 2007

‘Tis the Season



No, it’s not Christmas yet. I’m talking about avocados. The rest of the year everybody always complains that there are no avocados, but when they’re here, we can’t eat them fast enough to keep up. There are three trees by the house and two of them drop about a half dozen every day. So I’m eating avocado solo, avocado sandwiches, guacamole, avocado potato salad and avocado soup. “Avocado soup,” you say, “yuck…” Who wants to eat green soup besides maybe Dr. Zeus’s Cat in the Hat? Well believe or not, it’s pretty darn tasty even if it doesn’t look all that great. The best part is, its soooo easy to make and that’s the only kind of recipe I’ll do. Just take your favourite chicken soup mix or can – with or without noodles – and heat it up. Add two or more ripe, mashed avocados (leave out the skin and pit), a little butter or margarine, about a half cup of milk, a can of corn, then whatever spices you like. I use some cilantro too cause it grows like a weed on the lawn. There’s also some spinach in mine but it tends to get a little bitter when you re-heat. Heat it up until just before it boils, and it’s ready to eat. Yummy! Downside is that now I have to put away and freeze the leftovers and do the dishes. The maid took my Ferrari (okay, you guessed it, - no maid, no Ferrari).

I’m sure you’ve heard enough about chickens from me, but actually I’m just getting started. I just want to say that Beatrice’s feathers are growing back and she no longer looks like Moe of the Three Stooges. She now sports sideburns and looks a little like Elvis Presley. She also got a rooster tail and I’m beginning to wonder if she’s a hen at all! I’ll let you know if she starts crowing, or lays an egg. Until then, the jury is out. Comments anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment