Monday, October 1, 2007

Tarantulas – The frequent visitor


These poor guys always get a bad rap. Even down here I hear people say “
Watch out for them, their bite is deadly.” “They bite your horse’s feet and leave poison,” or “they’ll jump up on your face like the thing in Alien.” The actual people who do know something about this particular species disagree with all of the above. Especially about the jumping on your face cause I just made that up. In reality (although I don’t know this first-hand either) their bite is comparable to a bee sting and I do know first-hand that they will run away if you get close to them. I’ve seen the ‘brave at heart’ pick them up and let them walk all over them. They tell me if you don’t hurt them they won’t bite and are not the least bit aggressive. I’ll take their word on that. I’m also very glad because I found a baby hiding in my laundry the other day. It puts a whole new slant on ‘ants in your pants.’ They are very pretty for a big hairy spider, and the red body at the back seems to be exclusive to Belizean tarantulas.
Randy is driving me crazy with his crowing! He starts at 4:30 in the morning and won’t stop until I feed him. I’m thinking tamales!

No comments:

Post a Comment